1. Ask friends for a referral.You probably ask your friends for opinions on numerous issues or products, etc. You do this because you trust your friends. So trust your friends when it comes to finding an attorney. If they have used an attorney that they believed did a good job they are going to refer that attorney to you. If they did not like the attorney they are definitely going to tell you not to use them. This is probably the best source to finding an attorney because you are going to get names of attorneys that your friends believed did good work or at least the names of attorneys to avoid. Just as you trust your friends opinions on other issues, you should trust them when it comes to finding an attorney.
2. Search the Internet. Another way to find an attorney is the internet. When you search the internet be specific in what type of attorney you are seeking. If you are seeking a personal injury attorney because you were injured in a car accident try searching for car accident attorney. You can get even more specific by typing in your area of town such as car accident attorney west Houston. Or if you are searching for a divorce attorney in Humble type exactly that so you can narrow down the number of attorneys. Caution, when searching the internet the first few sites that appear are going to be paid advertising that may or may not provide you with the type of attorney you need or the area of town you want the attorney to be located. When you click through to the attorney’s website be sure to review the information to make sure that attorney practices the area of law you need or is located close to where you want.
3. Research the attorney’s reputation. No matter how you find an attorney, through friends or the internet, still read reviews online for the attorney. Google, AVVO.com, Yelp and other sites may provide reviews of the attorney. Be sure to read these reviews and any responses that may exist.
4. Check out their experience. While not the only indication of a good attorney, knowing how experienced the attorney is can be important. If you go to the State Bar of Texas website you can find out how long the attorney has been practicing and what areas of law the attorney says he/she practices.
5. Meet with the Attorney. While this may seem like a common sense step it is important. You need to be sure that you feel comfortable with the attorney and trust that the attorney is going to represent your interests. If you do not walk out of the attorney’s office feeling like you can tell them anything or that they will look after you, keep looking for an attorney and absolutely do not sign an agreement with the attorney. The attorney cannot fully represent your interests if you do not share anything they need to know openly. Further, if you do not think the attorney will fully represent your interests then you should not hire that attorney.
6. Price. This is the last item because while important everything above should help you narrow down your potential attorneys. From that narrowed down list then start being concerned about the cost. Attorneys handle billing in different ways. Some cases are always handled on a percentage basis whereas other cases are handled on an hourly basis and still others on flat fee. You need to know exactly what you are agreeing to before you select an attorney to represent you.
I hope this list helps you in selecting an attorney to represent your interests.